Need some new ideas for easy sides for a cookout? Listed below are three easy summer side recipes that are perfect for any upcoming backyard barbecues! All of the recipes are easy to prep while still giving you some fresh options beyond the traditional potato or pasta salad. The recipes are also amongst our members’ favorites which means you know they will taste great!
Get the easy recipes below, just in time for the weekend!
Southwestern Bean Salad
This beautiful Southwestern Bean Salad is packed with flavor and nutritional goodness! It makes a perfect complement to chicken or fish off the grill, or bring along to your next cookout
- 15 oz black beans low sodium, drained & rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn thawed (fresh works, too)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes or cherry, halved
- 1 red/orange/yellow bell pepper diced
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1 1/2 tbs olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbs fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp cumin ground
- Combine all ingredients in serving bowl. Add salt & pepper, to taste. Flavors will get even better with time, so this can be a great make ahead. Optional: top with chopped fresh herbs on hand such as parsley or cilantro. Also great with tortilla chips or pita bread.
Arugula and Apple Crunch Salad
This oh-so-simple salad uses just a few ingredients but the combo of the slightly spicy arugula with the apples and the crunch of the nuts is fabulous! It is always a welcome and surprising addition to a backyard barbecue!
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/4 tsp dijon mustard
- 5 oz baby arugula
- 1 apple thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup almond slices toasted (optional)
- Whisk together vinegar, oil, and a pea-sized dab of mustard—salt and pepper in a serving bowl to taste. Put arugula and apple slices in a bowl and toss. Optional: toast almonds (or any other nut) in a small dry skillet over medium heat for a couple of minutes, tossing frequently. Let cool and sprinkle over salad.
Tomato and Corn Salad
This salad is perfect for summer barbecues and casual dinners. It is even more fabulous when you use in-season tomatoes and corn!
- 2 to 3 large tomatoes chopped
- 3 tbs olive oil divided
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 10 oz frozen corn (fresh works, too)
- 3 scallions chopped
- Mix tomatoes in bowl with 2 tbs of the oil, vinegar, garlic, & lemon juice. Season with salt & pepper. Let sit for 10 mins or longer. Heat remaining oil in small skillet, add corn & scallions and cook for 5 mins. Mix with tomatoes & serve.
Want some more ideas for easy summer sides? Check out these other recipes below: