We just made this Easy Chicken Slaw with Apples recipe the other night for an easy summer recipe and we just had to share. Although it is perfect for a summer dinner on the deck, there is no reason to save it just for summer. It is also a great back to school recipe when schedules become more hectic, especially since you can make it in advance, making for an easy stress free dinner!
Why we love this easy chicken slaw with apples recipe:
- It is super easy to make in advance and have it ready to go when you are
- It replaces the standard mayo with yogurt
- It tastes better with time as flavors develop
- It is great for summer picnics
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken breast
- 1 tbs Chinese five-spice powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt, low fat
- 1 1/2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp honey
- 1 package coleslaw mix
- 1 apple, chopped
- 3/4 cup pecans or other favorite nuts, chopped (optional)
Sprinkle chicken with five-spice powder (optional) & salt. Heat skillet on med/high. Add oil and cook chicken, loosely covering the pan with foil, for 4 or 5 minutes per side until cooked through (internal temperature of 165). Set chicken aside to cool. In serving bowl, whisk yogurt, vinegar, honey and salt & pepper to taste. Stir in coleslaw mix, chopped apple and nuts (if using). Chop chicken into pieces and stir it into the salad. Tip: coleslaw tends to improve if you let it sit for a while so if time allows, let coleslaw mix sit for 30 mins or so before serving. Enjoy!
Want to make dinners this easy every night? Find out more about The Dinner Daily.