Are you still looking for an easy Thanksgiving Dessert that is quick and easy for this Thursday? We have THE perfect solution for you: Sticky Date Pudding!!! Short on time? No problem. You can easily pull this off in an under an hour and the results are fabulous.
It is admittedly not as popular in the US as it is in the UK or Australia, but we can assure you it is to die for delicious! You may have seen it called Sticky Toffee Pudding, or just Toffee Pudding as there are a few different variations of this classic. Our recipe for Sticky Date is simple, well tested, and always a crowd pleaser!
Why We Love This Easy Dessert:
- It is a perfect holiday dessert with the rich moist cake, topped with warm caramel sauce. Make it for Thanksgiving, or any holiday where an over the top dessert is a necessity.
- You will wow your guests with something a bit different. Chances are your guests may not have had sticky date pudding before, making it a welcome change from the standard pies and apple crisps. Be ready to enjoy the “oh wow” comments!
- It is super easy – no rolling dough, chopping, or complicated baking steps required. The whole recipe takes about 20 minutes to get in the oven. And the sauce just takes 5 minutes tops, making it an easy holiday dessert all around.
- You can up the wow factor with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or some whipped cream on top, but the dessert is good enough to stand on its own.
Ready to get started? The easy recipe is below. Happy holidays!
Sticky Date Pudding
- 1 cup dates
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 6 tbs butter unsalted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup self rising flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 stick butter unsalted
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 325. Coarsely chop dates. Bring water to boil & add dates. Cook on low boil for about 5 to 8 mins until dates are soft and falling apart. Remove from heat & add baking soda. In separate bowl, cream butter & sugar. Add eggs, date mixture, flour & vanilla. Pour into greased 8 x 8 baking pan. Cook for 30 to 40 mins until fork comes out clean.
- TO MAKE SAUCE: In small saucepan, add butter, brown sugar, vanilla, & cream. Simmer over med/high heat for 4 to 5 mins until hot & bubbly. Pour about half of the sauce over the cake in dish. Serve warm cake with a scoop of ice cream and some more sauce drizzled around cake on plate.
If you are looking for help in your weekly meal planning, we can help. Check out these other helpful articles below that will help you with getting dinner on the table each week.
And if you want to try our award winning meal planning service for free, and have a personalized plan for easy weeknight dinners based on the specials at your grocery store, you can sign up for our Two Week Trial HERE