This easy recipe for chicken salad sandwiches was created a few years ago when we were looking to create something a bit different for one of our favorite summertime staples. Ever since we made that first batch, it has become a regular in our house, whether that is a casual dinner, a flavorful lunch, or a snack for hungry teens. It is also one of the most favorited recipes at The Dinner Daily, so you know it is good!
And for those following a low-carb diet, no need to miss out. With all its flavor and textures, the chicken salad mixture is perfect on its own or a simple bed of lettuce…no bun required!
Why we love this easy recipe for chicken salad sandwiches:
- It is bursting with lots of different flavors and textures. The grapes, scallions, pistachios, and dressing blend together for a real taste sensation!
- It is a great way to use leftover chicken from a previous dinner with chicken. So much more interesting than reheating plain old chicken.
- It is ideal for making meals ahead, whether dinner or lunch. We suggest making a double batch and having it ready to go when hunger strikes.
- It’s so versatile! If you don’t’ have pistachios, use walnuts or whatever nuts you have on hand. Or, if you have a nut allergy, omit them altogether. You can also swap the grapes for blueberries, chopped apples, or pears if you prefer. However, we urge you not to skip adding the fruit as it creates that sweet and savory combo that is so appealing to our taste buds.
Keep this easy recipe for chicken salad sandwiches on hand for an upcoming beach day, picnic, or just for a casual dinner on the deck.
Ready to make a batch? Get the easy recipe below:
Easy Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken breast
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp brown mustard
- 1 1/2 tbs fresh lemon juice
- 6 scallions chopped
- 1/4 cup cranberries dried (optional)
- 1/4 cup pistachios almonds, or walnuts chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup red or green grapes sliced
- 3 ribs celery finely chopped
- 1 package sandwich rolls
- Cut chicken into cubes and season with salt & pepper. Heat oil in skillet over med heat, add chicken and cook until no longer pink inside, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly. If desired, you can chop the chicken into smaller pieces, place in food processor to shred, or leave as is. For dressing: mix mayo, mustard, & lemon juice in small bowl. Season with salt & pepper. In large bowl, mix chicken with scallions, cranberries, nuts (optional), grapes, celery & dressing. Serve on sandwich rolls.
Looking for more easy recipe ideas this summer? Check out these other two Dinner Daily favorites below: