Have you fallen into the trap of making one dinner for mom and dad and one dinner for the kids? Are you always looking for “kid friendly” or “toddler friendly” dinners that are quick and easy to get on the table quickly that you think your whole family will eat? If are you looking to find other ideas beyond what many see as the only things little ones will eat (such as mac n cheese, pasta & sauce, or chicken nuggets) we have a great one for you to try today: kid friendly burritos with Bean and Cheese
Last week we wrote about the very popular topic of picky eaters and we received follow up comments from parents asking for recipe ideas for younger kids in their families. Over the next few weeks we are going to be featuring some of our favorite easy weeknight dinners that are both kid and “adult friendly” that we use in our weekly meal plans.
We should note that the term “kid friendly” means different things to different people. We are strong believers that kids and adults can share the same dinner each night. Cooking an adult dinner and a kid dinner each night takes way TOO MUCH TIME and energy! Also, there is a huge benefit from having your kids see from an early age that they eat what mom and dad eat (even if its slightly modified and cut up into little pieces). Its a great dinner time routine to set early not only to instill good life long eating habits, but also to save a ton of time! Do you really want to spend your dinner time as a short order cook? Most likely you would rather be sitting down eating a meal with your family.
Best part? The recipes we will be sharing with you are all 5 ingredients or less, budget friendly, and are easy delicious dinners that will appeal to BOTH adults and kids alike! Being easy and quick makes a sit down family dinner, where you all eat the same thing, completely achievable!
First up is our Kid-Friendly Burritos with Bean & Cheese. The photograph at the top of the page shows how this dinner would look on the toddler/child plate and below is how it looks for mom and dad:
Kid-Friendly Burritos with Bean and Cheese
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 15 oz refried beans
- 5 tortillas burrito size
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese low fat
- 1/2 cup sour cream low fat (optional)
- 1 cup salsa mild
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In large skillet, heat the olive oil on medium. Add onion & pepper, cook for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add refried beans to skillet, heat for a few minutes to soften. Stir with the veggies.
- Spray 13 x 9 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Lay each tortilla on flat surface, divide skillet mix evenly among tortillas. Spread mix about an inch from edge of each tortilla.
- Sprinkle each tortilla with some cheese & roll up.
- Place rolled tortillas seam side down in dish.
- Cover with foil and bake 10 mins until heated through. Remove from oven.
- Sprinkle with a bit more cheese & serve with sour cream & salsa on side.
Like this recipe?
Find out more about The Dinner Daily