Even with the best plan in place, some nights it seems you just don’t have time to make dinner, never mind a kid-friendly meal. You start to talk yourself into takeout, or maybe doing breakfast for dinner yet again. And let’s face it, that never leaves us feeling great afterward.
When you truly feel like you don’t have time to do dinner, the solution is to have a list of super easy, low prep meals you can whip together quickly. So come up with your list of tried and true easy recipes that you know your family will eat. When my kids were little, one of my standbys was these Kid-Friendly Burritos with Beans and Cheese. We liked it as much as the kids, and served with a side of fruit or a simple veggie, we had a nutritious easy meal on the table in about 30 mins and for about $10 to $12. This is also a great recipe for the busy back-to-school since you can prep it in advance.
We should also note that the term “kid-friendly” means different things to different people. We are firm believers that kids and adults can share the same dinner each night. Cooking an adult dinner and a kid dinner each night takes way too much time, and energy, plus none of us want to set ourselves up as short-order cooks. Also, a massive benefit is having your kids realize from an early age that they eat what mom and dad eat, even if it’s slightly modified for spices and specific ingredients. It’s a great dinner time routine to set early to instill good lifelong eating habits and save a ton of time.
Why we love this recipe for kid-friendly burritos:
- It uses just 5 to 8 simple ingredients, making it flexible to how much time you have. If you are pressed for time, omit the onion and pepper (or use a frozen veggie instead).
- It is budget-friendly, something we all could use right now.
- Even though it is very kid-friendly, it is not solely a “kid meal,” meaning adults will enjoy it too. You can also modify it to suit your taste by adding more spice, a hot salsa, or more veggies to your serving.
- It takes just 5 to 8 minutes to get it prepped.
- It’s an excellent option for a meatless meal.
The easy recipe for kid friendly burritos is below:
Kid-Friendly Burritos with Bean and Cheese
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 medium onion (optional) chopped
- 1 green pepper (optional) chopped
- 15 oz refried beans
- 5 tortillas burrito size
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese low fat
- 1/2 cup sour cream low fat (optional)
- 1 cup salsa mild
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In large skillet, heat the olive oil on medium. Add onion & pepper, cook for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add refried beans to skillet, heat for a few minutes to soften. Stir with the veggies.
- Spray 13 x 9 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Lay each tortilla on flat surface, divide skillet mix evenly among tortillas. Spread mix about an inch from edge of each tortilla.
- Sprinkle each tortilla with some cheese & roll up.
- Place rolled tortillas seam side down in dish.
- Cover with foil and bake 10 mins until heated through. Remove from oven.
- Sprinkle with a bit more cheese & serve with sour cream & salsa on side.
Need some more help with easy dinners? Check out these other free resources below: