If you love fish tacos, you most likely will love this easy Fish Taco Bowls recipe. It has all the flavors of regular tacos, but is made without the tortillas (thus the bowl). It is a great recipe for taco lovers that are following a reduced card diet as well. Although we do place the fish and toppings on a bed of rice, you could easily swap the rice for quinoa, or just go heavy on the fish and veggies…never a bad thing!
The recipe is also a top member favorite at The Dinner Daily. Of course, it is easy…if it was complicated or time consuming, it never would have made the cut for our database of easy recipes. But that is not the main reason we love it:
Why We Love this Easy Fish Taco Bowls Recipe:
- It’s quick– about 35 minutes time to table. If you are short on time, or know you are going to have a busy night, you could always make the fish and prep the veggies in advance. Then at dinner time, it would be a simple assembly process to pull together your fish taco bowls.
- Cooking and clean up is easy! You only need one skillet for the whole recipe from beginning to end!
- You can easily modify it to make it your own. Don’t like black beans? Use kidney or pinto beans. Bell peppers bother you? Use chopped carrots instead. You can also top it with Mexican cheese, guacomole, and our favorite, chopped avocado. In other words, you can make these Fish Taco Bowls your own version based on what you love.
- It is a great recipe for fish leftovers. If you have leftover fish from another dinner, it is sometimes less than appealing to reheat fresh fish in the microwave. Fish Taco Bowls (or just plain fish tacos for that matter) are the perfect answer to use up leftover fish. With all the other flavors and ingredients mixed in, no one will notice the fish was not fresh from the oven.
- And most importantly, it takes amazing! The fish is seasoned with a simple spice mix (from items right in your pantry) and all the flavors come together beautifully with lots of different tastes and textures…one of the reasons we all love tacos!
Ready to try this easy Fish Taco Bowls recipe? The recipe card is right below. Enjoy!
Fish Taco Bowls
- 2 cups rice
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin ground
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 lbs fish fillet of choice
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1 red/orange/yellow bell pepper chopped
- 15 oz black beans low sodium, drained & rinsed
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- Cook rice according to package instructions. In small bowl, mix chili powder, cumin, salt & cayenne (optional). Place fish in shallow dish and sprinkle both sides with spice mixture. In large skillet, heat oil on med and cook garlic for 1-2 mins, stirring constantly. Add fish and cook approx 10 mins, turning over during cooking, until opaque and flakes easily- it's ok if fish breaks up into pieces during cooking. Remove fish from pan and set aside. Add corn, onion, & pepper to skillet and cook until tender, about 5 mins. Stir in beans and heat until just warmed. Divide rice, fish, and corn/pepper/onion mixture between bowls. Squeeze lime wedges over top of bowls and top with chopped cilantro, if using.
Would you like some more help with making easy dinners happen each week? Check out these other easy weeknight dinner recipes below. You can also learn more about our award winning meal planning service HERE.