If you are looking for an easy recipe for Butternut Squash soup for this Thanksgiving, look no further! This recipe was adapted from an Australian recipe for Pumpkin Soup (in the land down under butternut is called pumpkin) and we have been making it for years. It is so so easy!
You might look at the list of ingredients and think “looks pretty basic” and that is true. There are lots of variations when it comes to butternut squash soup recipes- some add apples, a range of autumn spices, coconut milk and more. However, our recipe for easy butternut squash soup is absolutely delicious! We could not even count the number of positive comments we have received on this recipe, from the ease of making it to the fantastic wholesome taste. It is yet another example of how delicious and healthy meals do not need to be complicated. As Julia Child once said: “You don’t have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces—just good food from fresh ingredients.” Here’s what we love about this recipe:
Why We Love This Easy Recipe for Butternut Squash Soup
- It uses 6 simple ingredients, including the salt. The taste of the butternut is pure and stands on its own without the need for additional ingredients.
- It is extremely easy to prep. The most time consuming part of the recipe is peeling and chopping the butternut. If you buy pre-cut, it literally takes about 5 minutes to get on the stove.
- It is healthy. Butternut squash is rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. The recipe is also low in calories, making it a healthy start to a big meal, or a healthy light meal on a busy weeknight.
One final note: this recipe makes about 5 to 6 1 cup servings as listed below. If you are making it for Thanksgiving, we suggest doubling it. It makes great leftovers!
Easy Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 onion large, chopped
- 1 large potato peeled & chopped
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth low sodium (can also use chicken broth)
- 1 1/2 lbs butternut squash peeled & chopped (or use precut for easier prep)
- 1 tsp salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup sour cream low fat
- chopped fresh chives
- In large pot, melt butter over med heat & add onion. Cook 5 to 8 minutes until onion is softened. Add potato, broth, squash, salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to low boil & simmer for 30 minutes until squash & potato are very soft. Remove from heat & let cool slightly. Mash with potato masher or for smoother texture, transfer carefully to blender or food processor in small batches and puree until smooth. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Serve in bowls with a dollop of sour cream and chopped fresh chives (both optional)
Looking for some more easy recipe ideas, perfect for busy weeknights? Check out these other articles below.
And if you need help with meal planning, and would like a personalized weekly meal plan created just for you, based on the specials at your local grocery store, you can also sign up for a free trial of our award winning meal planning service HERE