This homemade Chicken and Dumplings recipe is comfort food at its best. Chicken breasts simmering in a homemade creamy sauce topped with doughy dumplings…can it get any better for a weeknight winter dinner? Making the dumplings is super easy and they cook right in the same skillet as the chicken. This is also an easy dinner to make in advance and have it ready to just heat up at dinnertime.
Also, do you have picky eaters in your house? We think you will find this a big winner with the little ones as our kid testers gobbled this right up. They loved using the dumplings to soak up all the excess gravy….and did not even notice the veggies they were eating in the process!
Give it a try and let us know what you think in the comments below.
Chicken n Dumplings
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breast
- 1 tbs butter melted
- 3 tbs flour
- 1 1/3 cups low fat milk
- 1 cup chicken broth low sodium
- 1/2 tsp oregano dried
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 cups frozen peas & carrots
- 1 cup baking mix e.g., Bisquick
- Cut chicken into cubes.
- In saucepan, melt butter & add flour. Stir & cook 1 min.
- Add 1 cup of milk & the broth and stir over medium heat until thickened, about 5 mins.
- Stir in oregano & season with salt & pepper. Set aside.
- Heat oil in large skillet & add chicken. Cook until browned on all sides.
- While chicken is cooking, make the dough for the dumplings: Combine baking mix with remaining milk in a bowl until sticky dough forms.
- When chicken is browned, add sauce & veggies to skillet and stir until combined.
- Spoon large tablespoons of dough on top of mix in skillet.
- Turn heat to low, cook uncovered for 10 minutes, then covered for 10 mins more.
- Place one or two biscuits on each plate, then spoon chicken & sauce over top. Yum!
Looking for more easy chicken dinner recipes? Check out some more of our top recipes, created with the busy person in mind:
Crockpot Mexican Chicken: an easy slow cooker Mexican chicken recipe